Financial products – or the banks that promote them – sometimes don’t live up to the promises made. If the fruits of years of your hard work or those of a financial guarantor have been put in peril by misleading advice or bank promotional practices, our lawyers in banking and finance disputes can advise you through the disputation process to bring about a positive outcome.
As the Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industry discovered, misconduct in relation to a wide range of banking products is widespread.
Financial services customers – borrowers and investors – can have concerns that arise in many circumstances. The Australian Consumer Law, ASIC Act and Corporations Act give consumers and businesses, strong protection when customers have been misinformed and when investment products do not provide the intended results or if there is an “unfair term” in the service providers arrangements.
Our lawyers are experienced in this field litigation on behalf of guarantors and borrowers.
AFCA’s service is offered as an alternative to tribunals and courts to resolve complaints consumers and small businesses have with their financial firms. – Australian financial complaints authority
What Banking and Finance Disputes disputes we deal with?
Our team is proficient in all types of disputes over financial services, including:
- Failure to provide an adequate Statement of Advice when giving personal advice;
- Failure to observe “customer best interest obligations” or conduct customer risk profile sensitivity analysis;
- Conflict of interest advice;
- Substitution of financial products or insurance cover resulting in inferior customer benefits;
- Financial advisor performance & conduct issues;
- Misrepresentation re investment future performance – see example;
- Penalty interest demands – see example;
- Re-opening of loan due to unfair terms in loan documentation – see example;
- Mortgagee in possession valuation disputes – see example; and another;
- Disputes over margin loan facility calls;
- Disputes regarding structured financial products and derivatives – see example;
- Insolvency and bankruptcy claims;
- Financial Services Ombudsman submissions.
Why Choose QLD Business + Property Lawyers for your Banking and Financial Advice Dispute?
The significant advantage for our litigators is that they are part of a large business law practice which ensures they can rely on the professional experience of many other leading pragmatic teams We bring multi-disciplinary legal teams together were required to handle situations. We also represented clients in high-level, highly contested and complex cases in business law as one of the leading firms located in Queensland.
Our litigation lawyers help business clients by assisting them through tough circumstances when a dispute arises due to day-to-day operations. Litigation should be a last resort and we will explore other resolution processes using mediation, arbitration, conciliation and other alternative forms of dispute resolution as a means of achieving a faster and cheaper outcome.
Please contact our office to see one of our lawyers in our Brisbane office if you need assistance with a banking litigation dispute or to arrange a consultation in one of our branch offices.